Wednesday, October 23, 2013


                     COULD YOU PASS THE TEST?
Quarter 1 – Outside Reading
The Mysterious Benedict Society, Trenton Lee Stewart, Little Brown & Company, March 2007

        This story was about an orphan named Reynie Muldoon. He is too smart for normal high school classes so the orphanage got him a tutor. Reynie had a specific way of doing things in the morning. First he would wake up and make tea. By the time the tea was ready his tutor would be sitting at the table with two morning papers to read. The two would sit in the kitchen discussing the morning paper because there seemed to be nothing else to teach Reynie. One morning an add in the paper caught Reynies attention. The add seemed to be addressing children and not their parents. The add stated: “ ARE YOU A GIRTED CHILD LOOKING FOR SPECIAL OPPERTUNITES?” This question leads Reynie to a series of tests both mental and physical till there where three children left. Reynie was one; he had the talent of solving puzzles. Kate, the girl with all ability to any physical challenge. And finally Sticky a very intelligent boy. Throughout the story the three become best friends and face many challenges together.


       I found this book very hard to get into. The writer wrote in such a way you had to push yourself to keep reading. Though once I got into the book it was very exciting. I do not think I would read any other books from this author because of the issue of getting into the book. Also I am not a very big fan of reading and I found the story almost as if never ending.  In the book the author said: “ The door slid open. The children dashed through. They found themselves in a warm, bright room that smelled heavily of newsprint and ink.”

       I found I couldn’t really relate as well to the characters as had hoped I would have. This also made the book very difficult to complete. Over all I do not think this book was for me. I would rate this book 3 paws because this book may have not been as exciting for me as other people and I do think that other people would like this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment